You must set the ad_network_ads_405.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
deformed guppies [Archive] - Guppies.com

PDA

View Full Version : deformed guppies

redhotguppy
May 27th-2006, 12:23 PM
I get many deformed guppies... usually the ones which skeleton is bent or some of them eat too much they become obese. They're all offsprings though (about 2-3 month old).

My question is do deformed guppies have shorter lives than those that are normal?

mddolfurd
May 27th-2006, 12:35 PM
Did you see the pic on here where somebody had a fry with two heads???

guppylover74
May 27th-2006, 12:51 PM
It probably depends on how deformed they are. I have a couple that are 8 months old that swim like they are standing up. I think they are the cutest and they are doing fine. Allot of people cull deformed guppies. I would only do this if I knew they were in pain or couldn't eat, etc. I have now started to keep all my males and females separated because i have way to many guppies (300 + ) I would really not like to breed the deformed ones but that is not why I separated them but it helps.

kimo
May 28th-2006, 05:19 PM
Those are the first culls to go in any breeder's tanks. Why waste $$ on feeding fish that are deformed? OR breeding a pair of fish that produce deformed fry. The gene mix for those particular parents has something wrong with it (too much inbreeding?, damaged DNA, RNA?) try mixing with different m/f. If there are still deformities, get rid of the parents... even as far as getting rid of the line.

ispegi
May 29th-2006, 04:32 PM
I've got 2 deformed females, probably from inbreeding. They look more like sea horses than guppies with their bendy spines. They seem perfectly healthy, don't get bullied and are growing at the same rate as others from the same batches. :)

Bumblebee
May 29th-2006, 10:32 PM
If it happens shortly after they are born then it can also be problems like lack of calcium, lack of light to produce vitamin D or even nitrite poisoning or fish TB.

strangley enough I usually only get this problem from fish shortly after they have been bought from LPS, also the two headers. I suspect it is also something to do with some of the treatments they are given during transport as the problem passes with about 3 batches of fry.

I_luv_guppy
June 1st-2006, 04:58 PM
I just found one of my fry is deforemd, his/her ( i think it's a her) tail bend over to one side like an L, everyone tells me to cull it, becuase it might give me more deformed fry, but i kept it, i don't think it's hurt or anything......and it look healthy and eat fine........okay i have a question too, will that guppy have deformed fry when she is pregnant.......

Avin
June 5th-2006, 10:13 AM
I don't think i would breed her for the fact if she is bend like you say, giveing birth could be a real problem for her and don't forget that the % of deformed that she might have. Just my thoughts.

Bumblebee
June 6th-2006, 05:21 AM
I would not waste effort on weak or possibly diseased fish. Better to remove them than waste time on crippled fish. in nature they would have been eaten within minutes. They will never be good breeders, after all, who in there right mind would want to breed more of these things. better to remove them, at least from the tank of healthy fish so as not to contaminate the healthy fish with either bad genes, or worse, disease.