Thread: A 5 gallon tank

A 5 gallon tank

Hello,

If i read correctly the faq here you can put up to twenty to twenty five guppies by 10 gallons of water. So if i go by that number i could put a maximum of 12 guppies in my 5 gallon tank.

However if follow the other instruction a little bit up in the faq it's 1 fish by 1 gallon of water so i could put a maximum of 5 guppies in my 5 gallon tank.

I have 5 right now and they are really healthy. Their tail is luminescent and fluorescent with the overhead light,

rather than guppies i wopuld reccomend a couple cories. 5 gallons really is not a lot of space to work with and i d say youve got plenty as it is.

oh and welcome to the forum

Hi

Well first i had put for common Goldies in there. I had been told at the pet-mart that it was one Goldie for 1 gallon of water. While surfing the internet i found that was wrong. A Goldie need at least 10 gallon of water by fish.

So they can have space to grow and have a lot of oxygen. Goldie become real great and really even one Goldie would not have lasted long in my 5 gallon maybe 1 year but surely not the 15 years is it supposed to live. They really grow huge.

Then everyone told me to go into guppies that it's 1 guppy but gallon of water and they stay relatively small compared to Goldie. However the downside is they breed like rabbit and have a lot of offspring. So i thought with 5 guppies i would be great for my 5 gallon tank. The fish seem so small into my tank we can hardly see them from far away especially when they are near the surface because they like when i light the overhead lamp. If i go but the FAQ i could put 12 guppies in there since it's 25 guppies by 10 gallon of water.

5 gallon

Anybody have a picture of an acrylique 5 gallon tank. Mine have been sold as a 5 gallon tank but frankly it seems quite big. You know those little plastic trasporter for fish they hold about 3.5 gallon mine is about twise as big

Blog Entries
    They make 5 gal,5.5 gal,6 gal tanks,so you would have to go by the size in inches of the tank to find it`s size.I would say to stay with the 5 guppies.You can put more in but you woulf need a good filter that is over rated and lots of water changes and testing your tank a couple of times a week.If you have males and females then at some point you will have fry.Then you will need more room and more tanks.
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

My tank

I would say it's about 11.5" by 4" I did not mesure correctly just by eye and my tumbs.

Blog Entries
    Did you do your water change today
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Don`t help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

madmike140$gmail dot com

Vice President Bostonguppyclub: MADMIKE

putting 12 guppies in a 5 gal would be a recipie for disaster. the minimum size for almost any small fish is a 10gal for the fact there is almost no fish that will grow to its healthy full size in anything smaller. Seems like the FAQ would have been talking about raising fry which are much smaller than adults. I would only put 3-4 small fish in that container MAX as guppies will grow up to 2inches (with enough space). If the FAQ was talking about overstocking the tank, I still would never use anything smaller than a 10 gal and woulnt attempt it without also using several filters, live plants, very frequent water changes and having a very very very good knowledge about biological cycling.
    Allaquatica The forum for everything Aquatic NEW SITE V2!

AusGuppy.tk Australian guppy forums and website All welcome.

I FurGot My dikshUnari, DukSonAry. Dat Buk wiD tu Wurds InnIt!

Quote Originally Posted by Bast1981
    Hello,

If i read correctly the faq here you can put up to twenty to twenty five guppies by 10 gallons of water. So if i go by that number i could put a maximum of 12 guppies in my 5 gallon tank.

However if follow the other instruction a little bit up in the faq it's 1 fish by 1 gallon of water so i could put a maximum of 5 guppies in my 5 gallon tank.

I have 5 right now and they are really healthy. Their tail is luminescent and fluorescent with the overhead light,
    For the average aquarist:
    For a 10g tank, no more than 15 full-sized guppies, and then only if they are all inter-related in some way. (Line breeding as a group).
    For a 20g tank (long), not more than 25 full-sized guppies.

For the breeder who is going for the best:
    Cut the above in half.

If a tank LOOKS like it's overcrowded... it usually is. No water test required.
    Change 10-20% every week and you'll be ok.