Thread: Red gills

Red gills

I realize I am supposed to put up a million parameters but I have been dealing with sickness for a while and every time I've checked (except for methylene blue treatment) they have been great. I have treated for many different things and have decided to stop medicating my main tank.

Right now I have a hospital tank with 3 fish. Two females have been sick and getting sicker have been thinking columnaris because i had it at one point but I'm not sure. They are both extremely lethargic, not eating, getting thinner and thinner. "Kat" has dark areas inside her side fins and is barely moving. Also her mouth/head area looks red and irritated. "Pumpkin" is trying to eat but failing also barely swimming and has very red and inflammed gills. They look like they should be euthenized at this point but because my main tank probably still has a touch of this i would like to know what it is.
    The male in the tank is swimming and eating fine, looks perfectly healthy except for the redness around his mouth and head. I don't want to put him back in main tank to spread to others. Oh and when the females poop it looks like they are pooping out their intestines covered in clear slime coat.

If this makes any sense I feel like maybe columnaris gone internal, organ failure or something. (also noticing some red/inflammed gills in main tank but all still swimming and eating well)
    I am thinking of trying maracyn 2.

Any other suggestions?

Fish that come down with columnaris are usual going to die, unless they have been treated very early on. It is deadly!!!! I have learned it is better to remove any suspect fish from the tank that have a whole tank of sick fish.

Glad to read you are stopping all medication. The best action a hobbyist can do is keep up with the water changes and be careful not to overfeed.

well i treated with maracyn 2, male was still fine with a little tearage to the tail here and there but always eating great and very active. Females stopped eating and one got really bloated. A tweener (our word for not fry not adult) that was in the very beginning hospital tank made it and looks great. He went from one string of tail left to growing the whole thing back slowly but surely. I euthanized the two females as nothing I was doing was helping only seeming to make them worse. The male and tweener went back to the main tank last night after a week in nonmedicated water and still doing well. Fingers crossed, I really hope that wasn't a very horrible idea :/

If you medicate all the the time the fish become immune to it. Only use medication if you need to. sometimes you just need to let the weak fish die off and start fresh.
    how did i get myself into this stuff ?